When I was younger, I remember going to our local Italian restaurant, Grandpa Tony’s, with my family. Like most good Italian restaurants, they offered an enticing basket filled with a variety of breads, those skinny, hard breadsticks covered in sesame seeds and butter to go with it all. As we waited for our meals to be served, I was always the one that couldn’t wait to eat the heck out of that bread basket. Several slices of bread slathered in butter were always in my belly before I even got my meal. I didn’t care that I’d ruin my appetite. Nor did I didn’t care that it was nothing but carbs. This was far before my days of dietetic schooling. I wanted what tasted good to me. I wanted me some bread and butter baby!
Hence, my continued love of bread to this day. I still like a good load of white bread, which is what this recipe uses. However, if you prefer, you are more than welcome to use a whole grain Italian bread or any other type of bread for toasting up this addicting garlic bread.
If you’ve read any of my other recipes, you may have noticed a theme. I love recipes that are quick and easy to prepare. I know I’m not the only busy person out there. I’m sure you all appreciate something you can whip up in less than 20 minutes when you’re starving as well, am I right?
Well, this garlic bread is the perfect starchy side to any meal. And it can be ready to eat in less than 10 minutes!
Try serving this with my Sausage, White Bean and Kale Soup. 🥣
An important thing to note is that I do not use any butter, but rather extra virgin olive oil. A recent study links increased olive oil consumption with lower cardiovascular disease risk. More specifically, the research states to consume 20-30 grams per day in order to get maximum benefits. So, in this recipe, using olive oil (specifically virgin olive oil) in place of butter reduces the saturated fat to zero and you are doing your heart a favor. I can have my bread and eat it too? Count me in!
Addicting Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf Italian bread or other whole grain bread loaf
- 8 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp oregano dried
- 2 Tbsp basil dried
- 4 Tbsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes dried (optional)
- Set oven to broil or if you do not have broil setting, 350° will work.
- Slice the bread along the long edge to make 2 long strips of bread. Place on baking sheet large enough to fit.1 loaf Italian bread or other whole grain bread loaf
- Mix together oregano, basil, garlic powder and red pepper flakes, if using.4 Tbsp oregano, 2 Tbsp basil, 4 Tbsp garlic, ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle spice blend evenly over both slices of bread. Drizzle with olive oil liberally.8 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Broil or bake in oven for about 5 minutes. Watch carefully so it does not burn. You want it slightly browned and crisp on the outside but still soft on the inside.
- After removing from oven, carefully cut each bread section into 4 slices for a total of 8 garlic bread slices.
- You can most definitely use fresh or minced garlic in this recipe, which would be wonderful. For the sake of time, I often use powdered 🙂
- Feel free to omit the red pepper flakes if you are not a fan of too much heat.